Blogs
A blog is a discussion or informational website posted on the world wide web that consists of informal diary-style entries or posts (Wikipedia, 2021). I used Wikipedia to assist me with a formal definition.
After learning the definition of a blog, I began to research different blog sites. I looked at Wix, Blogger, Weebly, and Word Press. They are all great options. Each site has a free option, which is nice if you are just getting started. In addition, you are able to add images and videos to each one. There is limited storage for the free versions. I have used Weebly in the past for a different course. It wasn't as user friendly. There was a lot of formatting that I did using that blog site, and I felt like I spent extra time there. I chose to go with Blogger for my blog site. I have used it in the past, and it has been my top choice for blogging. I think the ease of use a huge plus. It is simple to add videos or visuals to this site too. If you want to use a template, there are some available for use. Blogs differ from other technologies becuase they are typed and they are diary-like entries.
A blog supports learning and the attainment of skills. When you read a blog, you get a first-hand account of someone's experiences so you learn from their journey. In addition, blogs provide a multitude of tips and ideas to help you. Blogs can also be used as a research tool. Blogs could be used to provide resources on particular areas of study or interest. For example, for a Reading course that I took, I had to create a blog that included the different foundations of reading and resources to support each foundation. Those who read my blog could learn the different foundations and how to implement and use each one in a classroom setting. This would be a research aspect. Another way that blogs could be useful is to share your experiences in the classroom. Other educators could read about great lesson ideas you have used and in turn use them in their own classrooms. They could also be used as collaboration tools between educators. For instance, if there is a difficult content area coming up, you could reach out to those who read your blog to collaborate and gather ideas on how to best teach the concept. The possibilities and benefits are endless!
Blogs could be used in a variety of ways to support student learning. One way is to show or display a project, performance or event such as a play, talent show, or research project. The student could post it on a class blog. Other students could provide feedback to share what they liked about the project and also give constructive feedback to improve the project. The dialogue between students takes student learning to a higher level. Displaying the project or performance through a blog enhances the instruction or learning. By adding the piece of students commenting and giving feedback, the learning is transformed. This is based on my own experiences as a learner. I have had a class blog through the Seesaw app. My students posted their projects and they were able to share feedback with their peers. Technology fully supports this learning objective and it is necessary for the blog.
Another way that blogs could be used to support student learning are students could set a learning goal or a goal to develop a certain skill such as learning another language. The blog could be used to document the progress and difficulties of this learning journey. This transforms student learning. Students are thinking critically and reflecting on their experiences. This is based on my own experiences as a learner. I have found reflection to be vital and powerful to deepen learning and understanding.
Desirae Zarate
References:
Blog. (2021, January 7). In Wikipedia. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blog

Comments
Post a Comment