Tech Tools


Exploring different tech tools this week was so fun! There are so many available that at times it can be overwhelming. The tech tools that I chose to explore this week were Book Creator app, Doink Green Screen app, and Pic Collage app. I liked that Book Creator had a free version. I know cost can be a factor for many educators. Additionally, the app was easy to use and navigate. Younger students will need modeling, but after they have used it a couple of times, they will be able to use it independently. The use of this app will promote student creativity. Students are designing their own book so students will be invested and engaged. I did not like that there is not a way to share a link to view students' digital book creations. Students will have to login to showcase their digital book. I liked Doink Green Screen because of the endless creativity possibilities that it affords students. I did not like Doink Green Screen because it is more complicated to use and it is not free. While the app is only $2.99, this can be a barrier for teachers. Teachers will have to learn how to navigate and use Doink Green Screen before they use it with their students. This will require prep time. The app will be challenging for younger students to use. The pros of the PicCollage app are that there are many layout tools that will allow students to use their creativity to show visuals for different projects and there is a free version. A disadvantage of the app is that there are frequent ads that pop up in the free version. This can be distracting for both students and viewers. 


The tool that I chose to reflect on is the Book Creator app. One of the affordances of this tool is that it allows students to use their creativity to create a digital book. Students are able to showcase their reading and writing skills by creating a product using this innovative app. Students' technology skills are able to be demonstrated through the use of this tool. 


One example of student work that could be designed using this app is first-grade students could work with a partner to research an animal, and create a non-fiction book demonstrating their research and knowledge that they gained from their research. Students could include non-fiction text features such as title page, photographs, illustrations, captions, labels, and a glossary. These content standards are the (C) part of the TPACK model. This assignment follows the Vygotsky Theory of Social Development since students will be working together on the assignment and deepen their learning. It follows the collaborative learning theory as well. The creativity affordances of this app support the pedagogical approach of collaborative learning theory. 

Another example of student work that could be designed using the Book Creator app is that students could write a writing composition using an introduction, body, and conclusion. Students can collaborate and receive feedback from 2-3 peers before they write their final story on the Book Creator app. Students could add their own photos or drawings to accompany their authentic story. After students write their story using the Book Creator app, students can post it to their Seesaw Class Blog and students could comment and give feedback on their classmates' compositions. This assignment would demonstrate learning of the writing and grammar standards for first grade. Since students will give reflections and collaborate with one another this assignment follows the collaborative and reflective pedagogical approach. The affordances of this app support the pedagogical approach of demonstrating mastery of first-grade reading and writing skills. Students using their creativity to be the author of their own original book encompasses many standards and shows students have learned the necessary content standards, while also have the affordance to showcase their creativity in their writing and drawing. 



I think it’s important to know about and use creativity tools, because creativity is a 21st century skill that should be fostered and encouraged in classrooms. Some students struggle with how to be creative. Personally, this was always a struggle for me. When I reflect on my education, creativity was never a part of my schooling. Since I didn’t have those experiences, I struggled to know how to be creative. My professional career has allowed me to experiment more and develop my creative side. Drill and practice, tutorials, and instructional games do not promote creativity. It is just a repeating of information. I enjoyed exploring all of the tools. I think they would be beneficial in any classroom for a variety of student assignments. They all afford building creativity while also deepening learning. 


Desirae


Comments